Friday, December 22, 2006

Me on the Cosmic Wurlitzer (iTunes)

I'm still pretty sure you're supposed to do these things deliberately instead of by shuffle. But screw it. [] constitutes comments or responses to Mike "Samurai" P., high school roommate and inheritor of my Trace Elliot, from whom I took this junk. Big ups.

NUMBER OF SONGS IN LIBRARY: 9679 [I win!]

Opening Credits: The Decemberists - 16 by 32
[I don't even know this fucking song.]

Waking Up: Built to Spill - Distopian Dream Girl
[I can dig it!]

First day at School: Smashing Pumpkins - Cash Car Star
[More 9th grade than kindergarten, but eh.]

Falling in love: Tykwer/Klimek/Hall - Casino
[It's from the Run Lola Run soundtrack, okay?]

Fight Song: The Cure - Inbetween Days
[Obviously, I lose. Ouch.]

Breaking up: Radiohead - Killer Cars
[Friends don't let friends heartbreak and drive.]

Life: Big Black - The Model (Kraftwerk Cover)
[What the hell does 'life' mean? That this song plays whenever one of the others on this list isn't? I think I'd go mad. It'd be cool though.]

Mental Breakdown: Spank Rock - Put that Pussy On Me (Original Version)
[...enough said...]

Driving: Explosions in the Sky - Remember Me as a Time of Day
[I'm probably driving through space into a black hole or something.]

Flashback: Christopher Willits - Filtered Light
[Glitchy, fragmentary, processed and rearranged...sort of like my memory...]

Wedding: King Tubby - East Avenue Skank
[NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO]

Sex Scene: John Coltrane - Jupiter
[Must be one of those dissonant free-jazz sex scenes where the orgasm is so massive it triggers an aneurysm. Sweet! Hey, at least I don't have sex to Bright Eyes.]

Birth of a child: Fugazi - Margin Walker
[Just like his daddy...(sniff) Assuming that it is mine.]

Final Battle: Board of Canada - A Moment of Clarity
[Way #392 in which I resemble Darth Vader.]

Death Scene: Jimi Hendrix - You Got Me Floatin'
[...in limbo.]

Funeral Song: The Fall - The Classical
["HEY THERE FUCK FACE! HEY THERE FUCK FACE!"]

End Credit: Slowdive - Sing
[I wouldn't mind leaving my last impression with a Slowdive song. In fact I quite love the idea. Great.]

Songs that are on the Soundtrack but not in the movie:

1: I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Long Walk
[Omitted despite repeated, outraged protests from the director.]

2: Guided by Voices - A Good Flying Bird

3: Owls - What Whorse You Wrote Id On

That turned out better than I'd expected. Far better, in fact. I actually didn't cheat once. I do notice a conspicuous lack of Aphex Twin, or Squarepusher, or Hold Steady, or Knife, or...whatever.

However, I think we can all relax, and be reassured that after all this time machines still don't know more about us than we do about ourselves.

Do they?

No comments: