I feel like I'm settling into a brand new era of electric guitar, possibly catalyzed by a renewed investigation into texture and noise, which simply aren't as easy to explore with my "other" adept (I use the term loosely, as can be seen in the awkward grammar of this sentence) instrument; the 2-year bass fascination phase has abated, if only temporarily.
Anyway, I saw fit to commemorate the occasion by listing a bunch of guitarists I like and would like to play like.
Just for the record, you know. And so that in a few years when NME asks me what my influences are, I can say, go read my blog, you fools, and stop trying to ruin my career with overexposure! Yeah!
Jonny Greenwood (Obligatory.)
Christian Fennesz
Kevin Shields (Ordered a Yamaha reverse reverb unit, but still trying to get a good feel for the whole strum-while-whammying thing.)
Vinni Reilly
J Mascis
Thurston Moore
Lee Ranaldo
To some extent:
Nels Cline
Russell Lissack
So essentially, people who abuse echo, and people who look good playing Fender Jazzmasters (I swear, that guitar plays me as much as the other way around, to the point that every other guitar feels weird). Mostly rhythm guitarists too...I've always been rather indifferent to leads; I can play them, but half the time I can't tell who's playing them, and don't really care, although Greenwood, Reilly, Mascis, Cline, and Lissack (and more recently Michio Kurihara) are exceptions. Make it scream or don't do it at all, man. Of course, Reilly's an exception to that statement, so who knows.
The ongoing vengeful quest to obsolesce the synthesizer with the electric guitar continues.
Monday, April 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment