Due to general sickliness, inebriation, and exhaustion, I shall have to forgo my heretofore usual daily full-length entry concerning the Biophysical Society conference. Instead, all I shall say is this:
1. I have a fever, and my brain feels like it's turned into a glitch record. Feels like minuscule electric shocks nipping at my heels and the inside of my forehead each time I take a step. I took a nap in the middle of day and drank a Naked Juice "Well-Being," which seemed to slightly alleviate the symptoms, but not as much as a solid dose of alcohol. I am drinking more than I would if I were in school, and it seems slightly absurd.
2. I had a half-hour long metaphysical conversation (the beauty of serendipity or lack thereof, figurative "force fields" modeling the migration of sorority girls as a function of booze volume, etc.) on the phone with Jessica in a sprawling subterranean hall with signs reading, "Hair Extension Kits" in huge block letters nailed to the walls a dozen feet off the floor. (No hair extension kits, or kits of any other sort, were to be found anywhere in the chamber.)
3. I met a very cool professor (Sarah Rice) from Northwestern University. She was ranting to a few grad students, including Izzi, about the absurdity of the postdoctoral job search from the employer's perspective. It turned out she'd graduated from UCSF Biophysics, where I shall be interviewing next week. Her parting words to me were, "Rockefeller...are a bunch of snobs."
4. Biophysicists dance, too. Especially when drunk. Especially to bad cover-band renditions of Journey, AC/DC, and Beyonce. (I would go find the e with the accent aigu from the character map, but I'm too tired.)
On all other fronts, nothing continues to happen. (Sigh.) Tenser, said the tensor...
Apparat's "Komponent" does it right now. I must present my poster in 13 hours. Sometimes, when I think about it, I lead a pretty strange life.
Los Angeles tomorrow?
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I HATE you for not bringing your cables so as to upload pictures of drunk Biophysicists dancing.!!!
Bonne chance with the poster!
Ah, yes, the typical conference shenanigans. I am glad that biophysicists drunkenly dance as much as psychologists do. Though I guess the gender skew is a little different, so I don't know how much of the sleezy male profs overwhelmed by a sea of female graduate students applied to you.
Post a Comment