"The punishment for love
is love..."
(from "Francesca's Complaint")
Nothing like waking up early for the group meeting of a lab you're not even sure you have any business working at anymore, only to discover there was no group meeting. So here I am, Hut-bound in the AM, trying to come up with an idea for a Belieu pastiche for Greg's class tomorrow that will be good enough to redeem me for my nosedive last week (I'm not banking on the middle schooler zombocalypse poem so much, for some reason). I'm so bad with pastiches; never having to write in anyone's voice but my own all my life has made me lazy and unreflective.
Nonetheless, I do have at least two ideas. Right now I am favoring one of them over the other. But I cannot say what it is.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What a mysterious entry.
Rilke says to be loved is to be devoured by fire!
Pastiches are a favorite exercise of mine, cos I spent my youth rewriting Emily Dickinson and Ann M. Martin. But didn't you imitate someone else when you started to write? The other prep-schoolers, at least? I think we're taught that imitation is stealing, but we should always remember that Nabokov and Sabato rewrote Proust, and Racine rewrote Sappho.
Me likes.
When I'm 'unreflective', I have zero ideas. Count yourself lucky.
I'm trying to read between the lines and figure out what this entry means... but I think I'll just wait until you CAN say because the result will be much better.
Post a Comment