Some things.
I completed the last exam (Bioinformatics) of my undergraduate career last Thursday. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I hope I did alright, but even if I did, it doesn't really solve anything, i.e. I still need to find a new pad, cure solitude, etc. None of the fundamental conditions of my living have changed. Is this a sign of maturity?
I find for myself many reasons to be kind, from the standard "being mean in this world is like pissing into the ocean" motivation, to a rather masochistic impulse to find out exactly how much shit I can take without becoming harsh. However, I think the extent to which I've succeeded (however much that may be) has only been possible with the support of certain important people in my life, and with their imminent departure from this place, I wonder how well I'll be able to maintain my self-imposed standards in their absence; philosophy is philosophy, but tenacity is a separate matter. I'll try, of course. Trying has never been the issue.
On the other hand, certain other people in my life have made me realize that I should try harder to relate to people outside of my immediate sphere of comfort. We all gravitate toward people who are similar to us, I suppose, we all favor the company of those who make us feel at ease in our own skin; but, for me at least, these people are few and far in between, and if I shunned all the rest, I would have very few friends. (Which I do anyway.) Anyway, if every person is a parallel universe unto themselves and no two are likely to completely overlap--flashback to chain link fences on the Jersey shore five years ago--what makes a difference would not be anticipating something that may never occur, but finding what empathy one can where it can be found. If we never fail to find something to dislike even in our closest friends, shouldn't the inverse apply as well? (The only issue with that is that it's so hard to interact with anyone on more than a couple superficial levels; it's why I so dread forming relationships on the basis of only one or two superficial interests. I would talk to scientists about music, or music fans about science, or real-actual friends about neither of these things, etc. However, I can never shake the knowledge of how awkward that can often be.) Saw a sign on a church down St. Paul the other night: "Those we like the least need our love the most."
Met a girl named Melissa a while back because she commented on the Mogwai shirt I was wearing (it's always the Mogwai shirt, for some reason). Said she liked Pavement(!) and also Aphex Twin. I put her on the email list, and a week later Jess, Flannery and I brought her along for the Heartbeats Remixed CD release at the Metro Gallery. The night after that, when Whitney's ticket suddenly became available half an hour before departure, Maura, Diamond, Katie and I recruited her for the Radiohead concert at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Virginia. The concert, my second time seeing Radiohead, almost two years after the first, was an awe-inspiring experience; the transit, however, was a complete clusterfuck (see this Washington Post article), and we spent a total of 8 hours traveling (driving, trudging through water and mud, freezing, getting drenched) to see 2 hours of music (just freezing and getting drenched). I spent most of the driving time studying for my cell biology exam at 10AM the following morning; the concert ended at midnight, and I got home at 3:30AM, 75 miles away. Don't think I did too hot on the exam either. Anyway, the point is, the EA kids are now obsessed with checking Melissa's last.fm to see what she'll listen to next (Diamond: "It's better than TV!"). Maura's already got both Diamond and me chalked up as casualties. I wouldn't speak so soon; it takes more than a good music collection to do me in. It does help, though.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
congratulations on finishing!
I guess a lass whose nickname is Cute Mogwai Girl could never enter your life without the EA stalking her last.fm.
You are one of the kindest and friendliest humans I know and it is inspiring that you still work on being kind and friendly.
yay, another post. finally. now let me read it.
Your description of the concert reminds me of the "Field Day" event in Jersey. Spent the whole day getting rained on, Beck that asshole slipped or something and didn't perform...after total exhaustion and being soaked to the bone, they finally came on. The rain stopped at almost the exact same time. We forgot everything, and it was just amazing.
Speaking of Radiohead: All Points West?
As far as your circle evaporating: something like what you describe definitely happened to me in the wake of graduation. All sorts of standards became irrelevant, because the people who maintained them disappeared. Now there's only the world to keep me to my standards, and that's a much more damning situation.
Relating to people outside your immediate sphere of comfort is fine. I try it all the time. The problem is, honestly, most people are just fucking boring. And unambitious. Yeah, there's always something to like. But why would you settle for that, if you've known better? People with whom there's more than one thing right? Well, you accept it, but you also become resentful. At least, that's been my fate.
Nonetheless, I'm all for making friends everywhere you go, and never being presumptuous about other people. You'll always learn, and you'll always be enlightened about how other people live. But you also have to apply some strategy when it comes to drawing the right people into your circle. Mainly, when they come along, you have to be shameless about holding on to them.
Post a Comment