I got a new cell phone. In case you think this is part of some continuing material trip of mine, let me point out that 1. my previous phone, which came free with my service, endured 5 years of being rained on, crushed, and generally abused (never misplaced) until the "Yes" and "Option" buttons stopped working (appropriately, the only option left to me was "No"), and held a 3-day charge until the end 2. this new phone was also free.
In any case, I performed the unenviable task of entering my entire phone book into my new phone manually. I probably have far fewer contacts than most people, but still there were too many, and I felt compelled to drop some along the way. Shed the dead weight. Many strange numbers in there, some that I kept out of sheer novelty--high school acquaintances I haven't spoken to since graduation, the girl I met at last year's Pitchfork Festival, etc. It was a bit of a pain. I started thinking that maybe I shouldn't have this many contacts; as with moving house, everything's just easier when you carry less.
But what is this talk? Since when have I ever been one to fear attachments and connections? I mean, come on. I'm the one who's been spieling for years about how kids tread too lightly and dissipate with the wind. I don't want to drag along what I don't have to, but I also don't want to fall victim to transience and triviality.
It's getting cooler. I'm sleeping with the windows open tonight. Summer's on its way out. I'm looking forward to autumn--colder temperatures are my element. There's something anticipatory about the shivers of the first drafts, as I walk down the street late at night, suddenly thinking that having a jacket might be nice, but it's probably just a trick of my mind. Seasons cycle and before I know it everyone's in for another slow summer burn without anything having really changed. The revelations don't come quite as often now that I'm not in high school anymore. Or maybe they do, and I'm just more hesitant to accept them as such.
Flannery and Becca are in town for the weekend. If I'm going to be an honorary B----, I had better start playing the part. It might be an interesting couple of days. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned coming back from Golden West with two unexpected things. I wrote about one, but as for the other...I made a phone call. I got one in return. I've been told to expect another. Who knows, maybe things can still change for one such as me.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You are without a doubt one of us. I was explaining this to Thom yesterday. Tell me all the drams. I'm glad that phone call worked out for you, dear...
I empathize on the issue of seasons. I too have been craving some autumn, some strong winds and light jackets.
No, things can never change for you, you're doomed.
Post a Comment