The problem with owning a nice bike, much like a nice anything, is people are more likely to tell me how cool my bike is than how cool I am. I like to remain more clever than the instruments I use. People should not be defined by what they acquire or what they own, but entirely by what they create and what they do. Besides, we cry objectification when we become more valued for our, shall I say, natural assets than for our characters--how is the situation any different with purchased assets? Except in the latter case, we spend money to invite more of it.
I did flip my rear wheel to the fixed cog after all to control the wheel better, in light of my rainy wipeout. So far it's not very different from riding freewheel. Keeping up with the pedals isn't hard. Don't believe the hype that says riding fixed gear is somehow a lifestyle change.
Recently I have started to realize the relationships between me and some people I've known for a long time have really changed. I wonder how long it will be before they say to me, You were cool when I met you. To which I would probably reply, I feel the exact same way about you. Funny it would come to this, but I chose my part and I suppose I must play it for what it's worth.
Bad news from home. Still contemplating it, don't feel like writing about it until I'm done.
More after the revelation. I'll probably remain cryptic until then.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dare I say, 'You are not your fuckin' khakis,' or would that be redundant?
Post a Comment