Wednesday, December 17, 2008

re:

Or: this got long so I decided to make it its own post.

Certainly, being a few bong hits short of a Darwin denialist means I agree competition served its purpose in getting us to here and now, but I believe it is counterproductive in this moment in history in the degrees to which we currently take it. When saturated markets are inflated and advertisements distorted to sell people more of the same thing they don't need--when scarcity and obsolescence are planned to ensure profit--when power is an opportunity to abuse people instead of serve them--when the recognition and the rewards that are meant to be the indexes of productivity become detached and more coveted than productivity itself, then it's appropriate to de-emphasize competition in favor of cooperation, especially given how much the latter is currently neglected in favor of the former.

Moreover, I don't believe the arts and scientific research should ever be driven by one-upmanship. They should be driven by a desire to innovate, explore possibilities and contradictions, to create and discover something different from what existed before. Competition should only come to play when evaluating the results, and even then only in a relative way. Besides, in either one of these fields one is likely to encounter so much discouragement that one won't get very far with only the feeble impulse to do the world one better, without Rilke's proverbial "I must." (c/o N.)

3 comments:

Patrice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrice said...

mine was a bit in jest, putting a bit of george gilder's Wealth and Poverty into play (helped launch reagan! and got all the conservatives chin scratchin' and a organizin'). look up the last chapter; it's a stunning insight into the ideas that the conservative coalition played with for the past three decades. you think about it too long, and you grow sad that they formulate their being around existential revenge*! oh megachurch on my corner in kansas, i forgive thou. ish.

*connolly, w.e.

Lucien said...

on topic:

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2008-winter/capitalism-moral-high-ground.asp

Competitiveness can do enormous harm in the arts and sciences. It encourages short-sighted one-upmanship and posing.

The most important thing in both the arts and sciences is truth. think of how easily people lose sight of it when they aim at scoring points or embarrassing their interlocutors. At least, that's what I see most of. A "war of ideas" is rarely about ideas. And that mentality is typical of, say, Randians - I just across an Objectivist site yesterday that presented argumentative tactics with an extended military analogy, with descriptions of "the enemy" and so on. Clearly this is the opposite of free thought. But it's not an accident, coming from people who value triumph over all else.

Then, worldly success, which free-marketeers fetishize, is rarely the motivation behind art or science. (see Rilke again.) If I were that concerned about showing how big my balls are, why would I waste my time trying to develop the aesthetic sensitivity that great art requires? Why would I take the shitty pay and lower quality of life that comes with devoting myself to art?

I have a suspicion that Randians and the like don't worry about those things, because they believe in a version of might makes right - what is best, always succeeds. So if art perishes in a free-market economy, maybe it deserves it. Maybe it wasn't so great after all.