Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Success is Over
The immediate consequence of the recent coincident crests of political and economic farces is, of course, that countless people will go unemployed, go broke, go hungry and cold and anguished--but I can't help but hope that, in the larger take-home message, this marks the destruction of status, of power, of possession, of "excellence" and "achievement" and "competitiveness" as systems of belief and of moral value, especially for the younger aspirant generation to which I belong. Confused, bitter, and cynical we may become, but new ideologies are best formulated with backs against the wall. A moral vacuum presents a revolutionary moment for a new belief to materialize and take hold; I hope good and happiness will be themselves again, and enough will finally again be enough. I hope we don't regress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
but a competitive spirit is--in part--why we have all we do: art, technology, literature, music, medical advances, and every bit of evolution! who's to say the first nucleated cell was not driven by a competitive spirit? ; )
a free-marketeer - slay her!
Post a Comment