Monday, January 22, 2007

Lam

Early class today. 9AM, Privalov, Proteins. Wasn't registered, only considering--it was between that and Probability and Statistics for Biological Sciences and Engineering, and I had to leave half an hour before the end of Privalov's class to get to ProbStats. Thought it was going to be a big lecture where I could slip out unnoticed at any point, but I turned out to be one of only six people present. Privalov stared at me as I almost ran out the door around 10. I haven't been that embarrassed in a while. Think I'm going to take ProbStats; it could be an interesting lead into computation, if I ever decide to do that. Regardless, even, of the fact that I've now had two embarrassing run-ins with Peter Privalov, he of the Russian accent and long, ancient pauses between statements in lecture, inventor of x-ray crystallography (or something important like that, can't remember precisely), whose lab I almost joined but let the chance slip through my fingers. (A little bit arrogant youth, a little bit new-school.)

Ten minutes before the end of Biological Physics (Reich, it's going to kick ass), the door to our classroom opened, and in walked a blonde ponytailed girl with a black-and-white striped, tight sweater with sleeves that came down to cover her palms. I thought to myself, "who's this cute girl who's 40 minutes late?" before the professor introduced her as our TA.

It is confirmed, then. The borderline between physics and biology will forever be populated by older girls who will always be painfully attractive and painfully out of my league. I suppose these things happen.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You're beyond help and you know it!

Just be thankful you don't fall in love with dumb older women. It could be worse; you could be Charles Swann and she could be Odette. Obviously you fall in love with older biophysicists to give yourself an "I am so advanced beyond my years" ego boost, so you can't be too unhappy.